Study going forward on consolidating Wallingford's two high schools

Study going forward on consolidating Wallingford's two high schools



reporter photo

WALLINGFORD — The Board of Education this week unanimously approved a $13,000 study on the feasibility of consolidating the high schools onto the Lyman Hall High School campus.

The funding is slated to come from previously allocated money in the board’s budget.

The board’s Instructional Committee had voted March 1 to seek a proposal from Hamden-based architectural firm Silver Petrucelli for building a new consolidated high school on the existing Lyman Hall campus.

School Superintendent Salvatore Menzo presented the proposal at the board’s Operations Committee on March 8.

According to a letter from David Stein, Silver Petrucelli principal/project manager, the scope of services for conducting a feasibility analysis at the Lyman Hall site would include determining an optimum location for new construction.

Ray Ross was the sole BOE member to vote against conducting the study at the March 8 Operations Committee meeting.

Ross questioned the lack of a wetlands or environmental impact element in the scope of the proposed study.

During Monday’s full Board of Education meeting, he recalled the work that went into mitigating risk to the surrounding wetlands when the Lyman Hall athletic field was built in 2014.

Menzo said Monday that Stein had watched the Operations Committee meeting and reached out to him and Dominic Barone, the school district business manager, the next day.

Menzo said Stein told him that his firm plans to use existing records and data about the wetlands that were gathered as part of the research for the initial facilities study.

“The wetlands will not be ignored,” Menzo said. “It will not be a cursory review of those (wetlands).”

The school board has not decided on whether to consolidate the high schools onto the Lyman Hall campus, or even onto one property.

The feasibility study is part of the ongoing school building reconfiguration plan that began in 2018 and was placed on the back burner when the pandemic hit.

LTakores@record-journal.com203-317-2212Twitter: @LCTakores


Advertisement
 
With local school, politics and coronavirus news being more important now than ever, please help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Please support Local news.

More From This Section

Advertisement