MONDAY SOCCER: Lady Knights, Simsbury battle to lively scoreless draw; Maloney girls edged at Lewis Mills; Wilcox boys take opener

SOUTHINGTON — Margaret Miller made 10 saves in the Southington net and Simsbury netminder Madeline Brooke made the save of the game at the other end as the Blue Knights and Trojans battled to a scoreless Central Connecticut Conference soccer draw Monday afternoon at Fontana Field.

Brooke made a stabbing kick save in the first half on a shot in the middle of the box by Southington freshman Taylor Warwyn, who had been sent in on a deft short pass from sophomore Julia Rusiecki.

It proved to be the most glittering chance in a dead-even battle that saw both teams muster 11 shots.

The Lady Knights, who opened with a 4-2 win at Conard, are now 1-0-1. Simsbury, a 1-0 winner over Avon on opening day, is also 1-0-1.

Lewis Mills 2, Maloney 1: The host Spartans of Burlington/Harwinton held off the visiting Spartans of Meriden in a CCC matchup at Nassahegan Field.

All the scoring came in the first half. With Maloney down 2-0, junior Molly Marcuss cut the gap in half by converting a rebound of Mackenzie McCormack’s free kick nine minutes before the break.

McCormack’s shot bounded off the post and Marcuss blasted the carom home on the doorstep.

Maloney had an excellent chance to tie things up with 19 minutes to play, but missed on a penalty kick.

At the other end, Cassidy Colaccico had 11 saves in the Maloney net.

Lewis Mills improved to 2-0. Maloney slipped to 1-1.

Middletown 7, Platt 0: The Panthers fell to 0-2 with the CCC loss to the Blue Dragons in Middletown.

Boys soccer

Wilcox Tech 5, Kaynor Tech 0: The Indians blanked the Panthers in the first game of Monday’s boys soccer doubleheader at Falcon Field.

The game was the season opener for the Tribe. Kaynor fell to 0-2.

Simsbury 2, Southington 0: The Trojans scored both of their goals in the first half en route to the CCC victory in Southington.

Southington’s Trevor Sousa had the first chance on a free kick five minutes in, but his shot hit the outside of the post. Five minutes later, Simsbury’s Christopher Kokines wove through multiple defenders to score what proved to be the winning goal.

The Trojans scored again in the 24th minute on a goal-mouth scramble in the wake of a long free kick.

Both teams mounted 14 shots. Simsbury keeper Jack Rogers stopped all six Southington shots that were on target. Ryan Lunn made eight saves for the Blue Knights.

Southington is 0-2. Monday’s game was the season opener for Simsbury.

With local school, politics and coronavirus news being more important now than ever, please help our newsroom deliver the coverage you deserve. Please support Local news.

More From This Section